At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
In 2017, Tarmac acquired JB Riney, who over 40 years have become a trusted partner to many Local Authorities and Councils in the London area, delivering a wide range of highway services and civil engineering projects. This continued growth sees increased apprenticeship opportunities in Harrow, for those interested in pursuing a career in road surfacing.
As a Trainee Operative, you will work as a member of a road surfacing gang, responsible for general site duties, working on various projects such as major new-build highways, airfield surfacing, motorways, residential streets, industrial estates and car parks, whilst working in line with our Safety, Health and Environmental policies.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
A typical day working as a Trainee Operative may include:
- Working as part of a Road Surfacing Team for National Contracting
- Gaining an understanding of road surfacing and construction materials
- Developing skills on mobile plant equipment
- Attend, participate and understand the content of the daily briefing and any site specific inductions
- Fully understand site risk assessments prior to starting work on every occasion and make suggestions to the Foreman to reduce or remove any identified risks.
- Display a pro-active attitude to health and safety and report any near hits to the Foreman, stopping any witnessed unsafe behaviour.
- Liaise with customers & general public to ensure the highest level of safety is maintained.
Working on site will involve working outside. It won’t always be glamorous but be assured your safety and health is our number one priority and full protective clothing and equipment is provided. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-today role you will complete our Roadsurfacing Operative Level 2, giving you good grounding to start a career in our industry. Further details of the qualification can be found here: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/road-surfacing-operative-v1-0
The Ideal Candidate
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success. This following transferable skills and qualifications are beneficial in this role:
- Preferably GCSEs A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) in both English and Maths, however D or 3 are acceptable, We’ll provide you with all the support you need you to reach functional skills level 2 in these subjects
- Willingness to listen and learn.
- Team player.
- Communication skills.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Good attitude around working safely – this is our no.1 priority.
Location: Harrow, Middlesex, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/119/3946