At Burberry, we believe creativity opens spaces. Our purpose is to unlock the power of imagination to push boundaries and open new possibilities for our people, our customers and our communities. This is the core belief that has guided Burberry since it was founded in 1856 and is central to how we operate as a company today.
We aim to provide an environment for creative minds from different backgrounds to thrive, bringing a wide range of skills and experiences to everything we do. As a purposeful, values-driven brand, we are committed to being a force for good in the world as well, creating the next generation of sustainable luxury for customers, driving industry change and championing our communities.
This a key role to support the Group in meeting its strategic objectives by championing best practice in risk management, governance and controls. You will provide independent assurance and guidance to the Board and the Audit committee on the adequacy and effectiveness of the group's control environment, and support the business in optimising processes and in protecting value and supporting growth. You will also be responsible for supporting the function in delivering its agreed objectives and meeting KPIs.
• Be recognised as a member of the IA leadership team, respected for technical knowledge and living Burberry behaviours.
• Actively contribute to the development and strategic direction of the Internal Audit and Risk Department.
• Develop and lead relationships with key stakeholders to ensure that Internal Audit and Risk is a relevant, valued business partner by stakeholders.
• Inspire and motivate the team.
• Lead by example in acting as an ambassador for the function. Demonstrate how audit can add value across the organisation by providing relevant examples of best practice and practical recommendations.
• Keep up to date with developments in governance, risk, control and auditing, networking with other audit teams and leaders.
• Maintain an understanding of business priorities and strategy, particularly for IT and Digital functions which are fundamental for growth.
• Work with the IA leadership team to prepare, and present as required, Audit Committee papers, Risk Committee papers and reports for senior executive committee members.
• Demonstrate control expertise by designing pragmatic recommendations that are implemented.
• Review and make sound judgement on the design and operating effectiveness of controls in place to protect value and support growth. This includes Financial, IT and Operational controls across the business.
• Provide a balanced view on how significant the impact of any findings are and identify root causes and trends or themes.
• Play a lead role in managing the design and delivery of audits to ensure they are effectively planned, resourced and delivered ensuring greater efficiency and collaboration across the team.
• Lead the delivery of programme assurance over key strategic programmes. Demonstrate an understanding of business and commercial impact, financial and technical controls and best practice project management practices.
• Build business knowledge and expertise within IT and Digital. Through programme assurance, expand understanding of other functions, including Supply Chain.
• Work with the Information Security team and IT Audit Director to evaluate the overall maturity of the cyber security control environment.
• Demonstrate awareness of good practice frameworks (e.g., NIST, ISO, SOC2) and of data privacy requirements (e.g., GDPR, PIPL).
• Maintain a robust quality assurance process that ensures professional internal audit standards are being complied with consistently on individual audits and across the function.
• Forward Thinking
• Work collaboratively with the SVP Audit and Risk, IT Audit Director and Audit Senior Manager to develop the annual Audit Plan, considering upcoming changes, key risks to the business, significant programmes and core processes.
• Proactively manage delivery, scheduling and team workload.
• Plan ahead to manage stakeholder needs and expectations, including ad hoc pieces of assurance work which may contribute to wider strategic direction.
• Open and Caring
• Be accountable for achieving personal and team objectives.
• Take ownership for setting tone and team culture, to foster inclusion and integrity.
• Prioritise team morale and safeguard wellbeing.
• Proud of our Heritage
• Provide excellent service to stakeholders and sponsors. Deliver consistent, clear messages and high quality reports to help the business protect value, understand controls and risks better and support growth.
• Use influence and relationship management skills to ensure that reports are agreed within deadlines and audit actions are followed up and closed on time.
• Creatively Driven
• Actively coach and develop staff by role modelling technical, leadership and business partnering skills.
• Challenge others to think differently and understand the importance of change needed to drive improvement and sustainability.
• Be resilient and influence and sponsor change.
- Financial Qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA) and/or Information Technology degree/Technical Qualification (CISA, CISSP, CISM).
- 4+ years experience in an Audit or Risk Management role.
- Comprehensive experience with application of risk based audit methodologies across operational and financial areas
- Detailed and comprehensive experience in auditing ERP systems, IT infrastructure, Information Security and IT management.
- Programme Assurance experience, particularly of large multi-year projects involving IT implementation
- Experience of other FTSE 100 companies or benchmark companies
- Supply chain and/or retail experience
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.