Title: Registered manager
Responsible to: Regional Director
To be responsible for the effective and efficient management of an Ofsted registered residential home which provides quality care for a group of vulnerable young people with social, emotional & behavioural difficulties.
- Responsible for all aspects of staff recruitment, effective deployment of staff/bank and Agency workers across the service, referrals, admissions and care practice.
- Ensure the service delivers at a high level to meet the young people’s needs and can provide quantitative and qualitative data to evidence the outcomes achieved by young people.
- Ensures the service meets and complies with all regulatory and statutory requirements as a minimum. Deliver the service to meet all contractual standards of placing authorities and where possible exceed the standards.
- To support and directly line manage the team with delegated responsibility to the Home’s senior management team.
- To ensure efficient and effective administrative and electronic systems are in place and being used to meet obligations for recording and reporting to comply with both Salutem ’s and Ofsted’s reporting standards.
- Ensure the service performs within budget and at a level to achieve the highest Ofsted inspection rating, supporting a programme of continuous business improvement.
- With the support of the Regional Director, responsible for the forward vision, strategic planning and generation of a pipeline of continuous business, building up and maintaining a sound reputation for the Home.
- To ensure systems are in place to audit the quality of the care provision against nationally agreed standards of quality, Ofsted and regional Local Authority consortia. Working closely with the Regional Director and the Director of Quality and Compliance.
- Ensure the service provides a child-centred and child-focussed environment where appropriate detailed assessments (care plans, risk assessments etc.) and programmes of activity are undertaken to meet the core needs of each young person. Ensure the delivery of detailed care planning, regular monitoring and review takes place.
- To ensure all staff fully understand their roles in the context of supporting young people with SEBD within a residential care environment. To ensure regular and effective meetings are maintained to enhance and develop integrated care and education practices. Ensure effective communication and team working and the operation of the key worker role.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships and relationships with referring authorities, LADO, Inspectors from the Regulatory Body (currently Ofsted) and other professionals to ensure the service represents high standards of residential care; provides for new and continued placements and an overall positive impression of the company.
- Deliver the service within agreed occupancy and fee levels as identified through the business planning and budget annual targets. To lead the annual business planning and budgetary process in liaison with the staff team and Regional Director.
- Fulfil your responsibilities under Health & Safety legislation and policy to provide a safe environment for all. Ensure the service operates effective systems to satisfy the company’s corporate responsibilities.
- Ensure the effective operation by those with delegated authority the company’s performance management systems to induct, supervise, appraise, manage and develop staff to deliver quality care and a consistent professional service to meet the existing and changing needs of the young people.
- To ensure effective budgetary and petty cash systems are operated by all with designated authority, to support the effective financial management of the service. Ensure temporary cover is utilised effectively and resourced to meet operational demands and safe working ratios, without compromising standards.
- In liaison with the Regional Director develop, operate and continually review the service development plan to ensure its meets the objectives agreed and set.
- To promote the vision and values of the company to provide services with a clear sense of purpose and agreed way of working.
- To establish clarity about how staff need to be led and managed to support an environment where staff’s health and wellbeing is considered, staff feel motivated and engaged contributing to the achievement of the company’s and service’s objectives.
- Provide support, guidance and direction to the senior team to enable them to perform their roles effectively. Act as a mentor to support their development as a first line manager.
- To ensure that the statutory and core training percentage is at a level exceeding national standards or expectations wherever possible.
- To ensure the service operates with trained and qualified staff and are accessing appropriate training and development opportunities. Ensure the mandatory training compliance data is utilised to monitor training and take action accordingly.
- To investigate incidents, complaints or allegations in line with established procedures. Represent management on disciplinary panels and as an investigating officer.
- Be responsible for keeping up to date with current trends in childcare, changing legislation, research and best practice. Disseminate to the staff team for their ongoing development.
- Carry out all duties in accordance with Salutem Group policies, procedures and practice with particular regard to health and safety at work, EEC directives, health and hygiene, vulnerable adult protection and equal opportunities
- Fulfil other duties reasonably considered by management as necessary for the safe and successful running of the home.
We’re keen to reward our managers when they get things right because doing well is important to us. Our Management Bonus Scheme takes into consideration a range of KPIs from inspections, audits, staffing, finances, training, annual leave, sickness and more. Meeting targets in all these areas will result in a performance bonus. The better you do the bigger your bonus! Another great reason to work with us as we commit to rewarding your success!
We have a massive duty of care towards those we support who are often the most vulnerable in society, which is why our staff are encouraged to keep up to date with vaccines and focus on self-care too.
This is an outline of the post holder’s key duties and responsibilities. It is not intended as an exhaustive list and may change according to service needs, following discussion with the post holder.