Gloucester Business Park. Hybrid with flexible home and office working supported.
Are you a scientist or an engineer with a background in Nuclear Safety Cases or Probabilistic Safety Analysis? Are you keen to apply your experience to a nuclear energy context? If so, join EDF as a Probabilistic Safety Analysis Engineer, and you’ll join one of the most exciting and ambitious projects within EDF.
At EDF we are building two new nuclear reactors at Hinkley Point C, the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low carbon electricity for around six million homes. Following on from the success of HPC, work on the replication strategy and some early design studies for the Sizewell C (SZC) project, is already underway.
We are looking for scientists and engineers to join our world class team ensuring that risks in the design of our nuclear plant are fully quantified.
As a Probabilistic Safety Analysis Engineer, you will be looking at the safety of our nuclear power plants in construction. This may include modelling hazards such as fire, flood and seismic hazards, reactor core damage, off site releases, environmental consequences and off-site releases. You will consider the risks could have on the safe operation of our plant and work to ensure that we have a secure safety case.
Pay, benefits and culture…
Alongside a starting salary from £50,000 (negotiable depending on experience), we offer a competitive benefits package, including a company pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn a bonus.
At EDF, everyone’s welcome. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone has a voice and where you feel confident being yourself. We’re committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We’d like our future workforce to have an equal gender balance, represent a broad mix of people from minority ethnic backgrounds, LGBTQ+, those of us with a disability and supporting social mobility.
We’re a disability confident employer and we’ll do all we can to help with your application, making adjustments as you need.
We’ll value the difference you bring and offer opportunities for you to thrive and succeed.
What you’ll be doing…
- Developing Probabilistic Safety Analysis (PSA) models for our new fleet of reactors, the UK EPR.
- Maintaining oversight of PSA development work conducted by our Responsible Designer (EDF France), ensuring it meets UK operational and regulatory expectations.
- Using PSA techniques and plant information to give Risk Informed Design insights into design construction, commissioning and operational safety.
- Supporting the development of each site-specific safety case by providing specialist contributions.
- Managing, reviewing and accepting the work of specialist contractors, and taking the role of Intelligent Customer for the HPC and SZC Licensees.
- Building and managing the relationship with, and trust of, our safety regulator.
- Developing our PSA models and approaches into an operating, living PSA.
Who you are…
You’re a team worker with an affinity for problem solving and delivering solutions. Some of your background may include the following:
- Degree level or equivalent qualification in science, engineering or a numerate discipline.
- Good technical writing skills.
- An ability to analyse complex systems and models.
- Collaborative problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and experience of Probabilistic Safety Analysis modelling tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of complex industrial plant design.
- Safety case development experience in a nuclear context.
- Experience in interactions with stakeholders and regulators.
Closing Date: 11th June 2023
Join us and together we can help Britain achieve Net Zero.