Salary: Up to £40,000 per annum
Shift hours: Permanent
M&S Store Manager
M&S Store Manager
As the M&S Store Manager, you’re responsible for an enthusiastic team and driving them forward. You’re the lead, the one that makes the financial, hiring, and daily decisions and keeping our customers and clients happy.
Leads the team to deliver excellent Presentation standards and accurate Stock management to drive Availability for customers.
Leads store colleagues and the management team to deliver multichannel sales plans by identifying cross-selling opportunities and risks and motivating the team to deliver.
- Has a thorough understanding of the M&S Brand.
- Ensures the team implements the right first-time marketing and store presentation principles for all seasonal launches/layout/grid/phase changes.
- Manages accurately with their team GM and Food stock management systems to maximise stock accuracy and availability
- Probes GM and Food diagnostics and ensures stock risks are resolved and managed accordingly.
- Regularly walks sales floor observing customer behaviour and evaluating product offer and quality.
- Develops a clear plan by regularly reviewing and analysing sales figures including daily, weekly and monthly reports to identify opportunities to deliver sales performance across the store, encouraging the team to do the same.
Role models and leads the team by demonstrating an ‘In Touch with Customers’ approach ‘ Helping our Customers to shop more of M&S’
- Ensure that the sales floor team is delivering great customer service by completing the service observations and giving priority on the staffing boards to the customer service required in the department.
- Make sure that the required standards of attitude and shop-keeping standards are met by the completion of the daily staffing board giving time and accountability to achieve the required checks. E.g. RTT. GM rumble, reprocessing, etc.
- Respond and deal with questions, concerns, and complaints from customers, offering the best resolution to the situation.
- Support your Team to control and manage the sales floor staffing models, holiday planning, and booking, Ensuring that the unit delivers the right people, in the right place, at the right time.
- Develop a clear understanding and actively contribute to the till management strategy for your store, improving results, delivering till checks, and supporting the security within the site with bag and locker checks.
- Implement layouts accurately. Action guidelines. Maintain pricing and ticketing standards and assist with the compilation of the weekly compliance.
- Ensure daily activity from the staffing boards has been accurately reflected on the staffing sheets, in preparation for the Unit Managers daily sign-off.
- Walks the customer journey across the store, ensuring Presentation, Availability, Cross-Selling, and Knowledge (PACK) is embedded.
- Engages the team to deliver great customer service and selling experience by utilising the service toolkit and knowledge to share.
- Ensures personal appearance of self and teams are consistently high every day across all store teams.
- Allocate tasks and follow up progress with Customer Assistants/ Supervisors working on the section.
- Respond to mail, questions and feedback from Store or HO management.
- Ensure that the Working Week Framework is delivered in accordance with M&S Policy.
- Comply with Compass group policies and procedures whilst maintaining M&S compliance.
Leads the team to deliver an aspirational and clean environment for customers and colleagues. Leads the delivery of a safe and legal working environment for colleagues and customers and is accountable for the store’s business plan.
- Lead the team to deliver an aspirational and clean environment for customers and colleagues.
- Ensures the store is ‘Ready to Trade’ and corporate standards are maintained throughout the day.
- Ensures the team deliver a ‘clean as you go’ rhythm and routine
- Ensures that ‘Passionate about Foods’ standards and actions are delivered to drive continuous improvement.
- Drives a collaborative approach with the team on delivering excellent standards across the store.
- Drives product handling across the store to ensure presentation standards are delivered.
- Ensures that management of maintenance, cleaning, and PPM services are completed through 3rd part contractors.
- Leads the delivery of a safe and legal working environment for colleagues and customers and is accountable for the store’s Business Continuity Plan.
- Has a detailed understanding of company due diligence requirements and the internal audit processes and keeps up to date with any changes to the Trading Safely and Legally policy.
- Ensures all compliance documentation is signed off within the correct timescales.
- Drives the team to manage and deliver all legal ticketing and decor is on display and in line with TSL.
- Ensures that the FSR is completed in line with the site directive and working with the Fire Safety Officer.
- Drives Food safety culture across the store ensuring all teams complete E-Learning.
Leads a committed team who feel fully engaged, supported, and recognised for their contribution and drives a positive culture across the store. Drives individual performance and develops potential through the successful leadership of the career path.
- · Takes time to ensure that the team understands their accountabilities and how they contribute to the store’s performance.
- Provides regular feedback to their line manager and recognises individuals who perform well.
- Delivers performance reviews across their team in a timely manner, ensuring the driving of consistent standards of performance and behaviour.
- Agrees stretching targets for the team and takes appropriate action with poor performers.
- Sets clear direction and coach’s team to achieve the required standards.
- Implements Compass HR policies and procedures consistently across the store to drive improvements, taking necessary action to improve or manage individual performance.
- Has a clear succession plan within their business as agreed by their GM/RM.
Leads and drives store profitability through minimising losses and managing costs. Leads and drives a profitable working culture.
- Drives a profit Protection mentality in store, raising awareness of potential risks and delivers the shrinkage plan and stock loss targets.
- Drives profitability through analysis of the P&L report and management of controllable store costs.
- Ensures the labour model reflects the store’s activity, identifies vacancies, and drives a culture of flexibility to ensure effective deployment of hours.
- Delivers the store’s weekly hours targets and overtime budgets, maximising the use of the lite rota tool to work smarter.
- Ensures that there is an effective rostering and timesheet management process in place, recognise risks, and takes effective action.
- Manage holidays across the Compass Holiday Year effectively and fairly, ensuring that all individuals book required holidays and targets are met. That holiday requests are spread out over the 12 month period with no rollover.
- Ensures that there is an effective absence management system in place in line with Compass policies. That actions are taken within Nexus systems and on the HR portal within acceptable timeframes. That RTWs are completed and appropriate action is taken.
- Drives operational excellence throughout the store in line with standard operating procedures, identifying opportunities to work smarter and more efficiently.
- Takes action on a daily/ weekly and monthly basis to manage stock systems through CSSM and waste management reports.
As a Manager you will be responsible for delivering the agreed Business KPIs:
- Best In Town Audit
- Food safety audits
- Mystery Shopper
- Turnaround times (TAT)
What else do you need To know?
- As a manager, you may be required to work on another section and not just within your unit.
- As a Manager, you will deliver a fully operational role with department accountability. This will include all areas of the sales floor operation, labour and sales analysis, compliance, and accountability for the overall performance of the operational activities.
- Your hours of work will be reviewed on a regular basis to ensure they reflect the needs of the business.
- You would still be required to perform and support the customer assistant role where necessary. E.g. going on tills at peak times.
- You will be assessed by your General Manager in your role as a Manager to ensure the required standards are consistently met.
- You will be required to perform any Line Management functions as a Manager, you will be required to give instruction & coordinate Customer Assistant/ Supervisor activities e.g. you will be required to complete return to work interviews or CPR s for customer assistants.
As the Store Manager ,you will be leading and driving the team to complete their given tasks. The Store Manager inspires and encourages teamwork as well as setting an outstanding example. Previous experience in store management is ideal in this role!
If you’re enthusiastic, driven and encourage teams to develop, this is the role for you! Apply today and help us to continue our story of success and growth!