The Estates Surveyor is responsible for assisting in the management of the UK and Republic of Ireland property portfolio (1,000+ stores) across many different disciplines. The portfolio mainly consists of leased retail premises, it also contains a significant number of distribution; manufacturing, and office buildings owned both freehold and leasehold.
A key aspect of the role involves undertaking lease renewal negotiations on behalf of the company and delivering rent savings in line with or exceeding company budgets. Estate management responsibilities include the approval of fixed property costs, being a primary point of contact for Landlord’s and advising other areas of the department on property issues. Although reporting directly to the Property Manager the role requires a large degree of autonomy with significant delegated decision-making authority, with an expectation that many of the aforementioned tasks are completed without requiring express line manager direction.
- Responsible for approving all property insurance premium invoices and being the approver of c.25% of the rent and service charge invoices as delegated by the Property Manager.
- Negotiating lease renewals with Landlord’s and their agents to deliver rent savings in line or exceeding market conditions to maximise profitability.
- Assist in-house Commercial Property solicitor to document new legal agreements.
- Update and maintain an accurate property database system.
- Support Finance dept. to lead the invoice approval process to ensure accurate and timely payment of occupational costs.
- Collaborate with the Maintenance dept. on estate management matters where the Landlord is responsible for repairs and other services.
- Managing external lawyers to serve/respond to Landlord and Tenant notices and action statutory deadlines as appropriate to ensure the Company’s position is protected, whilst also being involved in the cost management process.
- Undertaking full measured surveys/inspections of new site acquisitions and reporting to Store Planning dept.
- Lead the acquisition of seasonal temporary storage facilities, liaising with Retail dept. to ascertain requirements and negotiate directly with Landlord’s to secure the requested space on flexible terms at an appropriate cost.
- Membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 and other legislation.
- In-depth understanding of Leases and ability to interpret legal obligations, and then provide clear and concise advice to colleagues where required.
- Previous relevant experience in a similar retail organisation and/or agency with a strong retail client base
- Extensive knowledge of the UK property market across a variety of retail locations (high streets, shopping centres, retail parks etc).
- Ability to network with an existing breadth of contacts within both Landlord and Tenant communities.
- Be able to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment, often with tight deadlines.
- An excellent communicator at all levels to both internal and external stakeholders, often over contentious issues/disputes.
- Be a strong negotiator to achieve the best possible outcomes for the company.
- Clean driving licence and ability to travel extensively throughout UK and ROI as required, this will require periodic overnight stays away from home.