What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Head of Business Systems and working closely with the Hachette HR & Legal teams, the Data Protection Lead will play a key role in the data quality and data governance regime within Hodder Education.
The Data Protection Lead will work closely and effectively with colleagues in the division and across the Hachette Group (IT, Legal etc) to co-ordinate and manage the successful governance of our data, including working on data quality projects. You will need to be a proactive planner, quick to adapt to changing circumstances, without losing your eye for detail even under pressure.
Some of the key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Completing DPAs (data processing agreements and addenda) and other data protection compliance questionnaires and forms for schools
- Support HR & Legal with data subject requests including SARs (requests for access to personal data) and coordinate their resolution.
- Monitoring and maintaining IT security forms for suppliers
- Monitoring privacy inbox
- Planning and implementing data cleansing activities, making sure that data is held in line with approved retention policies
- Maintaining personal data flows through our systems as they evolve
Who we are looking for
The Data Protection Lead will be a strong communicator and a team player, who is as comfortable learning technical data flows and legal requirements as they work hands-on with colleagues to drive change and build a quality data culture.
Some of the key attributes required for the role include:
- Attention to detail in capturing and explaining complex information
- Working with multiple stakeholders on implementing our priorities and policies
- Ability to work with technical, legal, and business colleagues at all levels
- Ability to map and understand processes and systems
- Understanding the UK data protection framework and its requirements for data controllers and data processors
- Familiarity with data processing assessments and how these are populated based on an understanding of internal systems and data flows
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 28 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 community days per year, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our London office, or at any of our new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, or Sheffield, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
We are proud to be one of the largest education publishers in the UK and internationally, and we aim to make a difference to teachers and students by producing quality resources and services, while continuing to grow as a successful and profitable business. Our success is rooted in our values: putting teachers and students at the heart of what we do, improving quality year on year in our practices and our products, working collaboratively, and being trustworthy in what we publish and how we work.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
£35,000 – £45,000, dependent on experience and location (+bonus + benefits)