Are you a school or college leaver, or potentially looking for a change of career? If so; then please read on as we may just have the Apprentice role for you…
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
Come and join us as an Apprentice Operative – Road Surfacing at Tarmac, based from our Bareham site close to Ipswich in the Suffolk, you’ll get hands on experience in various tasks that will help develop your skills, qualify and allow you to progress within the business, starting a career and learn the ropes from the ground up!
The role is easily commutable from Great Blakenham, Ipswich, Needham Market, Stowmarket, Claydon, Bramford, Hadleigh, Kesgrave, Warren Heath, Martlesham, Woodbridge, Melton, Wattisham, Stowupland, Debenham, Somersham and the surrounding areas.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As an Apprentice Operative – Road Surfacing you will be bringing life to our Operations! You will work as a member of a road surfacing gang, responsible for general site duties, working on various projects such as major new-build highways, airfield surfacing, motorways, residential streets, industrial estates and car parks, whilst working in line with our Safety, Health and Environmental policies.
Duties may include (not exhaustive):
- Working as part of a Road Surfacing Team you will gain an understanding of road surfacing and construction materials
- Developing skills on mobile plant equipment
- Attend, participate and understand the content of the daily briefing and any site specific inductions
- Fully understand site risk assessments prior to starting work on every occasion and make suggestions to the Team Leader to reduce or remove any identified risks
- Display a pro-active attitude to health and safety and report any near hits to the Team Leader, stopping any witnessed unsafe behaviour
- Liaise with customers & general public to ensure the highest level of safety is maintained Contribute to keeping the working environment safe, ensuring our high standards are maintained
- Be a role model in your approach to Health and Safety
- Work collaboratively to build a culture of continuous improvement through teamwork and communication
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment and ensuring safety comes before anything else!
- Taking pride in all work completed and being determined to succeed!
As an Apprentice Operative – Road Surfacing life on site will involve working outside. It won’t always be glamorous and sometimes you might find yourself in a sunny, cold, warm, wet or windy environment. However, your safety and health is our number one priority and full protective clothing and equipment is provided. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-to-day role, you will complete our Professional Development Programme, giving you a good grounding to start an exciting career in our industry.
Further details of the qualification can be found here:
*Please note you must be able to travel between site and college for this apprenticeship
**Due to the nature of the role, you must be 18 years of age on or before 31st August 2024 to apply for this Apprenticeship
What you will get from us in the role of Apprentice Operative – Road Surfacing
- Your line manager and mentor will give you help and guidance throughout your apprenticeship programme
- Your Operational colleagues, who most of your daily interactions will be with will provide support and knowledge
- Health and Safety Team, always on hand to make sure we are working safely, although safety is everyone’s responsibility!
- Human Resources, here to support the development of your career with Tarmac
- Level 2 – Road Surfacing
- Training will take place in block periods, with this being delivered at the Tarmac National Skills and Safety Park, based at Tarmac Way, Nether Langwith, NG20 9JF. The location is a purpose-built facility where all operational staff complete learning, developing the right skills and capabilities to safely complete your role
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success.
Educational Qualifications required for the role of Apprentice Operative – Road Surfacing:
GCSEs A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) in both English and Maths
Please don’t worry if school wasn’t your thing and you are worried about these entry requirements – come and talk to us!
- Safety first mindset
- Practical and hands-on
- Enthusiastic about starting a career in the building materials industry!
- Passionate about working safely
- A team player
- Willingness to learn and develop
Salary: £18,000 Competitive + Benefits Package
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/112/5132